Saturday, February 4, 2012

Something I Wrote For My Sister's Homework

Like in the title, I originally wrote this for my sister's English class two years ago (and I realize I was not helping her learn by doing this for her). Since I am the Shakespeare freak (as my mom refers to me), I was the one my sister begged to have write this paper.  I am happy to say, this paper got an awesome grade, which makes me wonder why I couldn't write papers like this one when I was in high school.  I was a slacker in school, but I loved Shakespeare.


Basically, the point of this assignment was to take a quote from the play, and then explain what the character is feeling or thinking, and why it resonates with you.  Basically, pick a quote and explain why it means so much to you.

I decided to pull this essay off one of my three thumb drives and let you read it.  I appreciate all comments anyone leaves.  

Enjoy!

Should in the furthest east begin to draw
The shady curtains from Aurora's bed,
Away from the light steals home my heavy son,
And private in his chamber pens himself,
Shuts up his windows, locks fair daylight out
And makes himself an artificial night:
Black and portentous must this humor prove,
Unless good counsel may the cause remove.

-Romeo and Juliet, Act 1 Sc. 1
  
What I believe Montague is saying in this particular quote is that Romeo’s life is so dark and depressing that his favorite times of day involve total darkness.  And when the sun begins to rise and brighten, Romeo comes home and draws the shades, so that the light doesn’t penetrate his world.  Basically, Romeo walks with a permanent black cloud above his head.  Romeo is so down in the dumps over love or a lack thereof; that he can’t let light into his life.  It may also be a result of the longstanding feud going on between the Montague’s and Capulet’s.  Romeo in this isolated darkness also spends a great deal of his time writing all sorts of ideological thoughts; whether it’s in his journal or some sort of poetic verse, he’s shut off from everyone else.  It also shows Montague’s perspective of his son’s strife.  It’s a great insight into what types of relationships Elizabethan fathers and sons had with each other.  Romeo is weak in his father’s eyes.  He cannot begin to understand why Romeo is so determined to be sullen with the brightness and beauty of the world around him.  He also can’t bring himself to discover what sort of “good counsel” Romeo desires; if it be friends or a love in his life.  Montague really doesn’t want to understand his son, just criticize him.

This particular line has resonated due to the underlying disdain Montague holds for his son.  The visions created by this particular part are quite vivid.  You can just picture sunrise illuminating over the cliffs in Verona, and watch Romeo carry himself back to his room; shutting out the light and writing dark thoughts into his journal.  You can almost feel the slight disgust behind Montague’s words as he tells Benvolio about Romeo’s depression.

This particular line reminds me much of my own life.  When I get in a dark place, I will shut myself off from the world around me, and write.  Locking myself away just always seems so much better than being around people with their constant happiness and laughter.

No comments: